Monday 28 January 2013

Happy 200th Pride and Prejudice

Today is the bicentenary of the publication of arguably one of the most loved novels in the world: Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice'. Whether you've read the book a million times, watched one of the many live-action adaptations or know the story without ever touching the novel.



As a future literature student, I have recently been trying to read some 'classics' in order to set myself up for the course. When I read that it was the aforementioned anniversary today, I decided that it would be the perfect opportunity to finally read perhaps the ultimate romance novel. I must admit that I have tried to read it before in the past, but couldn't stomach it at the time. I found the ins and outs of Georgian high society tedious and did not appreciate the slowly developing relationship between Mr Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet. Like when I tried to read another of the greatest novels in English literature, 'Lord of the Rings', I had to give up and move onto something lighter.

So, several years later, after developing a passion for novels and literature, I have decided to try these literary giants again (well I read - and thoroughly enjoyed - 'The Hobbit' in time for the recent film release). Although my mum (a keen Austen fan) had bought me a beautiful collection of Jane Austen books for my 18th birthday a year and a half ago, I had not yet read a single one. My reading had been sparse for a couple of years since my life became very limited to school work, paid work, spending time with the family and making the most of, ahem, reaching the legal drinking age with friends. Austen novels also do not fit into the usual genres I enjoy. In fact, my last reads have been Jack Kerouac's 'On The Road' and Iain Bank's 'The Wasp Factory'. I was rather looking forward to the more gentile plot and less...mentally unstable characters.

Not a famous opening to a book. 
I'm sure there's no need to recount the story in great depth as you all will know that the plot follows the life and loves of Elizabeth Bennet and her rather eccentric family, most notably the relationship between Lizzy and Mr Darcy. There's also little I can add to the many critical views of the novel so I will just give you my views hoping you will try reading P&P yourself. If you are not into the romance genre there other themes which may interest you. The novel gives a wonderful insight into the values and lifestyle of the high gentry of England when Austen was reading. There may not be car chases, totalitarian governments and zombie viruses but through Miss Bennet, we experience a world completely different to our own. It is hard to imagine as a opinionated and independent teenager the life that I would be living if I had been born two hundred years ago. Endless days filled with embroidery and piano playing, interrupted only with socials with my parents where the sole aim would be to present myself for a husband. What makes Lizzy such an enduringly popular heroine is her free-thinking, fearless attitude, a stark contrast to those around her who would not dare to criticise a man of a much greater social standing. For many modern women, we can relate to her feisty persona.

Elizabeth Bennet however may be a less savoury character than Austen intended. Although some readers describe her as a feminist icon, I have this week been reading perhaps less common interpretations of the characters. This article in The Guardian is an interesting read, and may challenge some our more conventional views of the novel. Instead of her being a revolutionary, independent woman, Elizabeth is often quick to undermine her own sex, especially her own sister and mother. Like the recent trend of 'slut shaming' our fellow sex, how can we brand such a woman a feminist.  Moreover, she chastises Jane for her naive, forgiving ways, yet she herself is seen to thoroughly misjudge the characters of Mr Wickham and Mr Darcy. I myself, like Lizzy, so it is up to you to make up your own mind as to how virtuous she is.

To conclude, 'Pride and Prejudice' is a novel worth a read, regardless of your usual linguistic endeavours. A novel which is still immensely popular two hundred years after its first print must have much more to offer than the question central to all chick flicks: 'does the girl get the guy?' I encourage you to have a go, and to not judge the book by its cover (even if it is pink and has gold, yes gold, pages).

S. x

No comments:

Post a Comment