Thursday 17 January 2013

Catching the Baking Bug


There are two people in this world. Those who watch The Great British Bake Off, and those who have not tried it yet.

I must admit, I was late to the Bake Off party. I only started watching it in the last season after hearing rave reviews from friends. I came to the conclusion of my rather bold statement above after my Bake Off experience that season. I started watching the series and was hooked after the first episode. As was my boyfriend, J, even after practically forcing him into watching this seemingly effeminate, repetitive reality show. I was then later surprised to find out that not only were all my girlfriends watching the show, so were my male friends and big brothers. 

So what makes this show so utterly addictive? After all, we are inundated with formulaic reality shows featuring weekly evictions, and possibly even more cooking related programs. One reason may be that The Great British Bake Off is absolutely and completely, quintessentially British. It is a show featuring a pastel colour palette, mugs full of tea and of course, endless shots of delicacies destined for afternoon tea consumption. In a year of British optimism, the show has struck a chord and has been a great success. But a case of connecting with our national identity does not create a successful show. At the heart of the series are judges Paul Hollywood and the queen of baking Mary Berry (I kid you not). The banter between them, along with the sense of camaraderie between the entire 'cast' is infectious, creating a feel good, entertaining watch. It does however, stray from becoming too sickly sweet. It is, of course, still a competition.

Unlike most shows,  for me Bake Off did not end at the final. I became intent on learning how to bake. I rarely cook myself but I am now the worst, by far, cook in the family. As I have always enjoyed baking, I decided to throw myself in, and learn how to bake more than just cupcakes and icing. I therefore set myself a plan for one bake a week.

Since starting my project I have had about a 50/50 success rate. I have heard baking described as a science, and I could not agree more. The slightest error in measuring, ingredients and timing can and will make or break your bake. I have already learnt a lot from my bakes, and also, surprisingly about myself. I am a lucky person, in the sense that I have only failed at a handful of pursuits in my life. However baking has completely shattered that. I am not used to failing, and as such I tend to turn into a stroppy, pessimistic, deflated flan. Luckily for me (and unfortunately for him), J has usually been around to lift me back up with some supportive yet stern words, mainly, you can't just expect to be perfect at everything. And I definitely needed that wake up call.

So I got back to the mixing bowl after every failed bake (and knock to my pride), and tried again.

In an upcoming entry I'll get us up to date on my baking project, and what I have observed about baking so far. 

Also, this: 











Stay tuned!

S. x

No comments:

Post a Comment